Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election day from far away

Being abroad during such an important political moment in American history had me worried. First, would my absentee ballot get to me? When I sent it back would it ever arrive? My first time voting in a presidential election and I was going to miss everything.I had been almost grateful to escape the last couple of months of campaigning, but now with no internet at my apartment, no television, no radio and with a time difference that would mean a night of no sleep if I wanted to follow election results, I was for the first time annoyed that I was so far away from America.
Even though Florence is the most Anglo-Saxon of all the Italian cities, it is easy to forgot that we are not so alone. Plus, I was quickly learning that Italians were following the American elections of 2008 as intently as Americans. This was truly a world election. Fortunately many of my friends shared my election night anxieties and we decided we could sacrifice one night in the name of democracy in action.
We caught a taxi to the Saschall Convention Center here in Florence where they were hosting a live satellite viewing of the election results on the jumbo screen. Organized by the Tuscan American Association, there was live music, balloons and American flags, free food, and Americans and Italian alike. It was one big election party, everyone dancing to good old American country music and oldies, many friends and fellow students were there amongst the group. The convention center was more exciting than any club or bar in Florence on Tuesday night. We arrived at about 10:00 and stuck it out until 4:00 a.m. We eventually had to go before we could see the results but a call from home around 5:30 told me the verdict.
And not only was I happy last night to be informed, but I was also reminded what a global community is and why it is so important, no matter how you voted, to see that we all can come together with a common interest and concern. No matter how far from home, we are rarely alone.

Go to www.toscanausa.org for more information

No comments: